14 July 2008

Reading list

I just finished reading The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. It was my first foray into any of his books and I came away impressed. I've been informed by respectable sources that my next Stephenson read should be Snow Crash. After doing some reading and discovering that it's supposed to occur in the same universe as The Diamond Age it's moved way up on my list. I've already started reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King so it'll have to wait until I finish that. The Gunslinger is the first in a seven part series that King has referred to as his 'magnum opus' so I imagine it's gonna be pretty good. I've only read one other Stephen King book (I've never been a fan of horror- film or literature) and that was years ago but I remember enjoying it. Before The Diamond Age I read The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkein. I enjoyed the book but one thing that I've found about reading any Tolkein that isn't The Hobbit or the LOTR series is that I always find myself subconsiously wishing that the stories were, well, The Hobbit or the LOTR series. I've tried to read The Silmarillion but honestly it felt too much like I was reading the Bible or something equally as boring and fictional. OH I SAID IT.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, The Dark Tower. It may be awhile 'til you get back to Neal Stephenson. You may find you need to plow through all seven.

As for Tolkien, I couldn't read The Sillmarillion, either. And I have read the Bible. Couple times.